Squid and non-authotarative-answers from DNS

From: Marcos Otero Garcia <squidlist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:44:29 +0200

Hello,

please excuse my bad english. Im new to Linux and I got problems retrieving
URL's which hostnames been answered non-authoritative by the the DNS. If I
try to connect through aliases, I get an errormessage, described below.

By trying to retrieve http://squid.nlanr.net I got an error message:
could not
determine IP Adress from hostname. If I try www.squid-cache.org everything
seems to be allright. Same thing with www.spiegel.de, www.koehntopp.de
and many more...

Squid logs this failure to access.log, with HTTP "Service unavailable":
955124244.847 1 192.168.1.2 TCP_MISS/503 1209 GET
http://www.koehntopp.de/kris/artikel/glossar/ - DIRECT/www.koehntopp.de -

If I lookup the hostname, by nslookup manualy, I get the IP from the
same NS.

I've found something related in the archive, but there is no solution given
to my problem.
The URL's are:
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200003/0972.html
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200003/0935.html
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200002/0234.html

Take a look at the full threads...

I run squid2-2.2.STABLE3-5 on a SuSE Linux 6.2 Intel Machine.
This machine acts as a gateway to the internet. I connect via ISDN to
several ISP. One Ethernet Iface connects to my subnet.

Squid uses the ISP's proxy as parent, defining with cache_peer tag in the
conf file. Squid starts 5 DNS processes, wich use the ISP'S DNS to solve
IP-adresses.

I've asked a few friends, and I posted in german newsgroups. Nobody
encountered this problem before, or had any idea solving this.
I hope that someone in this list can help me. I tried hard last weekend to
solve this, with no result.

Thanks for help,
marcos