Re: [SQU] load-balancing using squid and cisco

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:31:42 -0500

Christian Schmit wrote:

> With the introduction of ADSL we plan to deploy a transparent
> caching system. After having a look at some commercial products
> which are very very expensive I got squid recommended.
>
> So I installed redhat 6.2 and squid 2.3 last week.
> I installed squid in transparent caching mode
> and used policy routing along with route maps
> on the cisco to redirect the web trafic to the
> squid box. All this work fine.
>
> However I need a solution that is scalable
> and it would also be very good if it was
> fault tolerant too.
>
> What is the recommended setup if you want
> to load-balance your caching trafic among
> several squid boxes?
>
> Can policy routing with route maps on a cisco
> redirect web trafic to several squid boxes?
>
> Would WCCP be a better solution?

WCCP works very well for load balancing multiple caches. If you already
have the Cisco, and it's got the horsepower to do the lifting, use it.
WCCP provides everything you've asked for, almost automatically. But
you'll have to make sure your Cisco has WCCP v1...some versions of IOS
only have v2.
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances