Re: [SQU] a question about refreshing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:26:09 +0100

Squid can only control the refresh rate based on time, not number of
requests. See refresh_pattern.

A busy server needs to have quite a bit of TIME_WAIT per TCP definitions
(one per connection, stays for the duration of 2*MSL). How many do you
have? Quite normal numbers for a buzy server are a couple of thousands.
A standard Linux installation without any tuning is capable to handle
about 4000 TIME_WAIT sockets (the exact figure varies with traffic
pattern).

Most OS:es can be tuned to allow for more local sockets if you run out
of ports due to TIME_WAIT. On some you can also bend the TCP rules by
lowering the time a socket stays in TCP_WAIT but this is not
recommended.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker