Re: [SQU] resolv.conf

From: Florin Andrei <florin@dont-contact.us>
Date: 07 Mar 2001 16:40:50 -0800

On 07 Mar 2001 07:46:22 +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> dns_defnames if off by default, and only available if Squid is built
> without the internal DNS client implementation..

Is there the slightest chance to get back into Squid some code from
dnsserver?

The reason for asking this: i'm very close to successfully replace an
old, proprietary proxy on SGI's network with Squid. Now, because of
legacy network topology and old DNS stuff, the proxy *must* follow a
domain search path. For example: if i just write "gooey" in the address
field in my browser, Squid must be able to figure out if it's
"gooey.mynet.sgi.com" or it's "gooey.othernet.sgi.com".
I know, this is ugly, i hate it deeply, but it must be done.

Right now, the only natural solution is to use the old dnsserver stuff.
Yes, it can be done with redirectors, but it's just "yet another admin
task" to add at an already long list; it's more easy to say to Squid:
hey, take a look at /etc/resolv.conf and use whatever you see in the
search path!

Right now, in order to accomplish this, i'm using 2.4.PRE-STABLE with
--disable-internal-dns which is not only ugly, but it also gave me some
nasty errors with the latest greatest PRE-STABLE2 (i'll send you another
message on that).

From the admin point of view, it will be just much more nice to have
that feature back, in the internal resolver.

--
Florin Andrei