Re: [squid-users] Limiting connections with no Access Denied

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:26:58 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> Also, having the connection wait may generate timeout errors for the
> downstream client. I don't recall the error given to maxconn denied
> errors, but I suspect it's a plain access denied. Perhaps we could give
> a resource unavailable error instead? (indicating that the client
> software should wait a bit a try again?)

HTTP is very poor at such operations, but there are some provisions

There is two status codes one can use:

503 "Service unavailable" indicates a temporary error. The request may
be successful if the client retries after a short delay.

100 "Continue" indicates "please wait, I haven't forgot you yet, the
response will come"

but it is unclear how well supported any of these new status codes this
is in the clients, especially considering that these codes are HTTP/1.1
codes, and Squid as of yet is a HTTP/1.0 proxy.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker
MARA Systems AB, Sweden