Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy without using accelerator?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 03:46:55 +0200

This you can do, but you don't really need Squid in the picture.

Simply run a simple web server and tell ipchains to redirect the
users requests to this web server directly. This is done in the exact
same manner as you set up transparent proxying, except that instead
of redirecting the traffic to a proxy you redirect it to a HTTP
server.

Apache can be set up for this task quite easily by using two name
based virtual hosts

a) A registration/login server using a host name, processing showing
the login form and processing the login request.

b) A default server trapping all other requests, redirecting them to
the login server.