Re: [squid-users] Alteon + squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:51:24 +0200

Wei Keong wrote:
> > cache_peer the.notdotcom.box parent 3128 0 no-query connect-timeout=2
> > proxy-only
> >
> > acl COM dstdomain .com
> >
> > cache_peer_access the.notdotcom.box deny COM
> >
> > prefer_direct off
>
> We want the .com box to handle all .com traffic and only forward
> the rest to nondotcom box. Shouldn't we use sibling instead of parent?

No. You want to forward all notdotcom, not just what the other already has in
it's cache.

> Actually, to differentiate .com and !.com, we can also use
> cache_peer_domain. To avoid reverse dnslookup, it will be better not to
> use dstdomain, right?

Right, unless you want those reverse dnslookups.. you can also use a url_regex
to match IP addresses if you want to avoid this but still use dstdomain acls.

Note: Squid should probably be extended with a sane ACL method to determine if
a URL is specified using a hostname or a IP address... writing a correct
url_regex pattern is not trivial.