Re: [squid-users] Protocol Unreachables????

From: Mark Eanes <Mark.Eanes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:26:52 -0400

Your explanation is much clearer. Working on the ipchains redirect now. Will let you know when it is completed and tested.

Thank you very much!!

Mark

>>> Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com> 07/19/02 03:16PM >>>
You're misreading the FAQ, or the FAQ is not clear enough on this point.
  Squid cannot do anything with packets that do not get to it. The
redirection still has to happen using iptables/ipchains, regardless of
your method of getting packets to the cache machine (i.e. WCCP, policy
routing, L4/L7, etc.).

Packets that arrive on the GRE interface (or GRE encapsulated on the eth
interface, if you're using ip_wccp) are descapsulated into normal
packets which are /still/ destined for the internet. Only the outer
packet is directed to the Squid machine, and once its 'shell' is
stripped off, the packet inside is what the client actually sent out.
So if you're Squid machine can route the packets to the internet it will
do so, if it cannot it will reply with a destination unreachable. Most
likely a theoretical infinite loop will happen
(WCCP->cache->WCCP->cache...) and the router will stop those packets,
probably giving the response you're seeing. If instead of routing those
packets at the Squid box, you redirect them to a local port on which
Squid is listening, the loop is broken because Squid is a different IP
and the router knows not to redirect it and things will work as they should.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.