Re: [squid-users] Dead parent never reviving

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:52:47 +0200

Smells like a network issue.

Can you ping the remote office proxy from your parent?
(or the other way around if there is firewalls)

Do you run any kind of firewall between the two?
(including on the parent himself)

Things I may guess that could cause symptoms like this are

  *) A firewall triggering some kind of DoS protection rule.

  *) Local routing table hickup on the parent.

  *) Kernel bugs causing route caching bugs or arp errors on the
parent

  *) ARP hickup due to network errors. If the offices uses different
routers to connect to the LAN where your parent is located. Such
hickup can by example be caused by a rouge station trying to use the
same IP address as one of the remote office routers. Note: If the
remote offices all connect via the same router running as a router
(not proxy-arp/bridgeing), or if there is another LAN router
inbetween your parent and the connection point of your remote offices
then this CAN NOT be the cause.