Re: [squid-users] Question on sibling relationships

From: Ilker Gokhan <ilker.gokhan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:00:47 +0300

Gino LV. Ledesma wrote:
> Hi,
> ISP1 ISP2 ISP3
> | | |
> +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+
> | A |--sibling--| B |--sibling--| C |
> +-+-+ +---+ +-+-+
> | |
> +------------sibling------------+
>
> The problem I'd like to (or have to) address is that, if one of the proxies's direct connection is for some reason unavailable, the proxy must be able to be "functional" by querying its siblings. I guess in a longer term, is it possible for squid to be configured to dynamically adapt to its network connections?

Hi,

If i understand correctly, you can use prefer_direct option in squid.conf.

# TAG: prefer_direct
# Normally Squid tries to use parents for most requests. If you by
some
# reason like it to first try going direct and only use a parent if
# going direct fails then set this to off.
#
# By combining nonhierarchical_direct off and prefer_direct on you
# can set up Squid to use a parent as a backup path if going direct
# fails.
#
# prefer_direct off

prefer_direct on