Re: [squid-users] Question on sibling relationships

From: Gino LV. Ledesma <gino@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:33:42 +0800

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 04:01:53PM +0800, francisv@dagupan.com wrote:
> You might want to change your existing setup. You can probably add a load
> balancer or another squid machine in front of the cache array. The front-end
> squid machine (D) will then act as your "load balancer" (using CARP) or
> pointing to the three squid proxies as parents.
>
> ISP1 ISP2 ISP3
> | | |
> | | |
> +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+
> | A |--sibling--| B |--sibling--| C |
> +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+
> | | |
> | +-+-+ |
> +-------------| D |-------------+
> +---+
>
> You can also lower the TTL between A<->D, B<->D, or C<->D so that it doesn't
> wait.

Well, the above would work if proxy D is to be accessed by all clients. But in our scenario, proxy D is physically and "topologically" far away from other clients. Proxies A, B, and C serve different physical sites/networks, but are siblings with one another as they are relatively close.

The objective is to make A, B, and C have a "failover" connection, so as to continually serve its network.

Gino LV. Ledesma
Campus Network Group
Ateneo de Manila University
http://cng.ateneo.net/