[squid-users] Caching problem - changes to documents are not reflected right aw ay

From: Jairo.Castaņeda <Jairo.Castaneda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:12:27 -0500

Hi,

The finance guys modified some documents (.xls, .doc, .ppt, .pps, .pdf) in
the intranet every day and itīs very important that whoever consults them,
gets the latest version. However, recent changes are not reflected so the
following case is common: two different persons consulting the same document
in the intranet at the same time see different figures (one got the latest
version and the other the one before). Another case could be a powerpoint
file with hyperlinks inside, if one hyperlink is modified some people see
the change while others donīt.

Our proxy is Squid 2.4 STABLE 7 and as I thought the cache was the problem I
made the following changes to squid.conf:

acl DenyCacheDOC urlpath_regex -i \.doc$ \.doc? \.doc;
acl DenyCachePDF urlpath_regex -i \.pdf$ \.pdf? \.pdf;
acl DenyCacheXLS urlpath_regex -i \.xls$ \.xls? \.xls;
acl DenyCachePPT urlpath_regex -i \.ppt$ \.ppt? \.ppt;
acl DenyCachePPS urlpath_regex -i \.pps$ \.pps? \.pps;
no_cache deny DenyCacheDOC
no_cache deny DenyCachePDF
no_cache deny DenyCacheXLS
no_cache deny DenyCachePPT
no_cache deny DenyCachePPS

But to no avail... the problem keeps appearing... my guess is that the
clients are caching the files and therefore the changes I made in Squid are
not working...

Any ideas? Is there anything else I could modify in my squid.conf or in the
clients?

Client -------> Squid 2.4 STABLE7 --------> Intranet Server
IE 6.0 RH 7.1 WinNT 4.0 Server - IIS 4.0

Jairo Castaņeda