RE: [squid-users] Squid 2.5.STABLE3 and ntlm and authentication popup

From: <daniel.jarboe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 15:12:57 -0400

> Two possible causes:
> 1) Not enough NTLM auth helpers
> 2) Response from auth server is taking too long

I haven't received more "AuthenticateNTLMHandleReply: invalid callback
data.
Releasing helper" since I upped the # of children again, but it's only
been a few
hours and this proxy is not used heavily.

> Right now, my best guess is that your authentication server is
becoming
> overloaded and replies are taking too long. This causes the auth
helpers to
> block, and eventually Squid will queue requests.

> BTW, what are the specs on your authentication server (OS,
> harware, number of users)?

NT 4 SP 6, dual 500 MHz w/ ~ 500 meg RAM, 1900 users in the domain.

I turned up debugging for section 29, it hasn't happened again yet.

So far avg service time for NTLM authenticators is 0 msec. Here are the
current
# of ntlm requests per helper for 15 clients: 281, 100, 46, 23, 6, 2, 0,
0...

> The first 3 helpers handle 88% of the requests (the first helper alone
handles
> 76%), and we have no deferred requests and an average service time of
0 msec.

If the current #'s are anything to go by, my first 3 handle 93% with the
first
handling 61%, but I'll keep my eye on it. Hopefully it will break ;).

Thanks for your help & interest,
~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.