RE: [squid-users] HOWTO get working NTLM in 2.5.3?

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 15:15:47 -0400

> I have installed Squid and now trying to setup the squid.conf but I cannot
find "auth_param ntlm program
> /usr/local/squid/bin/ntlm_auth" the ntlm_auth program as mentioned there.
I know it should be in the "src"
> dir in "helpers" but I have not managed to install it.

You need to specify the configure options needed to turn on NTLM auth -
check configure --help for info.

> The reason I want this is that we have to use some internet pages that
require NTLM auth.

The Squid NTLM auth helper is for using NTLM to authenticate to Squid
itself, not to other websites. I don't know if what you want is even
possible with Squid. In fact, I don't think even Microsoft recommends using
NTLM auth over the Internet - too easy to steal hashes that way. It's meant
for use on an Intranet.

Adam

---