Re: [squid-users] Improve performance in squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:32:15 +0200

On Monday 07 July 2003 18.25, Adaíl Oliveira wrote:
> The server is a dell poweredge 2550 with scsi disks.
> My cache dir is in a diferent disk --> cache_dir ufs /cache/squid
> 17000 16 256
>
> What kind of configurations I have to do for my squid not become an
> I/O bound?

As mentioned your Squid is most likely I/O bound, limited by the speed
of your disk.

To lessen this limitation there is many things you can do

a) Use a async I/O method such as aufs or diskd to remove the burden
of having to wait for disk I/O, allowing networking I/O to be
processed in parallell.

b) Add more cache drives. A reasonable estimate is one drive per 50
request/s you want to be able to handle.

When you add cache drives, keep an eye on the memory usage. You should
not design a Squid to use more than 1GB of memory. There is magic
hardware related limitations for running larger processes on 32 bit
CPUs such as Intel X86 and these are best stayed away from if
possible. See the Squid FAQ on memory usage for the relation between
cache size and memory usage.