Re: [squid-users] Squid as an FTP proxy?

From: Elvis Presley <elvispresleydied@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:16:12 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the tip. I'll google for frox. In the
meantime,

Doesn't the browser normally resolve ftp urls itself,
connecting directly to the ftp server/proxy?

If it doesn't, how does an ftp url get to an http
server/proxy, as a GET ftp://, a POST ftp://?

That would be mixing metaphors, wouldn't it, I mean,
how does an http proxy/server respond to ftp requests?
How does it map GET and POST into ftp?

At this point, I am only interested in how *squid*
reacts to ftp.

It is not entirely clear to me what a typical browser
does with an ftp url.

Anybody?

Elvis

PS

By "transparent" I mean "invisible" to a client of the
proxy (or whatever it is that sits between the client
and the ftp server, whether that server is inside the
firewall or not). I don't mean to imply any specific
kind of network technology, NAT, socks, frox, or http
as a proxy for ftp. I will be working with a private
IP address space, and I want to know just how close to
perfection(=transparency) I can come without actually
using a valid IP subnet, before I deploy. It's already
clear to me that the private subnet(=intranet)
scenario is vastly more complex than a direct
connection. I'm going to need proxying on all levels.

<attachment>