Re: [squid-users] Two authentication schemes, NTLM and LDAP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:30:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Michael Pophal wrote:

> my problem is, I have to provide two authentication schemes, LDAP and
> NTLM. Unfortunately the user has no choice which scheme to use, because
> this is negotiated between browser and proxy. The strongest
> authentication scheme wins -> NTLM. But some of my users only have
> credentials on LDAP, others on the domain controller (NTLM).
>
> I tried to give the choice by calling one proxy on two different ports,
> to seperate the http_access lines by

This is not possible with a single Squid instance. All the configured
authentiation schemes are active whenever authentication is requested.

What you can do is to set up two instances of Squid, one connected to the
domain controller for both Basic and NTLM, the other connected to your
LDAP server for only Basic.

> So the next step is to run two squids on one machine. Here my question:
> Is it feasible to share one disk cache between both squids (I run
> diskd)? I don't want to have redundant disk cache.

No, each needs to have their own cache.

What you can do is to only have cache on one of them, and forward all
requests from the other to the one with cache.