Re: [squid-users] ip_wccp kernel module for WCCP V2?????

From: Alexander Harkenthal <aharkenthal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:12:51 +0100

Hello,

> After doing all these things my router
> is able to detect linux squid box & send responce to HERE_I_AM packtes
> received from squid.

Check the cache.log if you see the HERE_I_AM packets and responses there.
Further you need to debug on the router the wccp functionality with the
commands:

sh ip wccp web-cache detail
sh ip wccp web-cache view

where the view command shows you if the router sees the squid and the details
show you if the communication works fine and how many redirects the router
send to the squid.

If the looks good the wccp functionality is ok, cisco router configured right,
squid is patched correctly and the ip_wccp module is working ...

> But but ... nothing comes in squid access.log. I thinks this is because of
> ip_wccp kernel drive is not having support for wccp v2. ip_wccp module
> works well with wccp1 but not for wccp V2.

As Henrik very often comments (THANKS FOR ALL HIS EXPERT SUPPORT !!!) there is
no kernel patch needed. If squid is patched correctly the ip_wccp module gets
loaded during the startup of squid. After configuring squid and the Cisco
router correctly the communication between them showed work fine, see above.

The last thing you need to check is the routing !!! The router redirects with
wccp all port 80 (http) requests to the squid. The squid checks its content
and serves the request or caches the content. Now the squid needs to send the
linux server or the default router of it doesn't have a route to the
client-cache communication will not work and you will not see something in
the access log.

Cheers,
Alexander