[squid-users] RE: RE: Disk Configuration

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:33:19 -0500

William Stucke wrote:
> Adam Aube said: -

>> The only caution about RAID I have seen is that RAID-5 will kill disk
>> performance with Squid (due to its usage profile)

> How? Why? Please explain. Just because the FAQ says so doesn't make it
> true, or explain why.

Squid makes a large number of random small writes, which is the worst case
performance for RAID-5 (or any other form of RAID that does striping).

I'm paraphrasing Henrik Nordstrom; this has been a common theme in his many
posts to the list on this subject:

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200004/0302.html
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200006/0458.html
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200206/0121.html