Re: [squid-users] Performance tuning Squid box for ISP traffic

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 11:09:02 +0800

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 19:22, Milind Nanal wrote:
> My squid cache (with WCCP2) is running on FreeBSD 5.2 operating system for
> an ISP. This is running fine but I want to tune it for better performance.
> I have used HP DL 140 hardware with 80 GB IDE hard disk & 512 MB RAM.

Try using Either SATA or Scsi disk if you are able to.

> 1) How do I check the HIT rate of my Squid BOX. Any utility. I have tried
> couple of access log analyzer but those are taking long time processing &
> scanning the log files ?

Calamaris is a good one, alternative is to use squid's cachemgr.cgi

> 2) Any fine tune parameters for better performance rather than using default
> values in squid.conf ?

There are lots. depends on whether you want more speed or more bandwidth
savings.

use Reiserfs for the file-system w/ notail/noatime
Do not use RAID.
make sure your Cache vs. RAM is optimum
~10MB Ram per 1GB Cache

> 3)would like to explore more on different cache replacement policies LUR,
> GDSF, LFUDA which one is suitable of an ISP class SQUID box ?
NOt exprimented yet. Can't comment

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz