[squid-users] Re: Performance tuning Squid box for ISP traffic

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:54:49 -0500

Lucia Di Occhi wrote:

> Is it really worth using ReiserFS? I mean do you really get all that
> performance improvement over ext3?

Yes - ReiserFS is much better than ext3 at handling large numbers of small
files, which is a similar usage pattern to a Squid cache_dir.

>>Do not use RAID.
>
> Do you mean SOFTWARE RAID? Hardware striping will definately improve
> performance.

Not any more than using multiple cache_dirs, one per disk. One added
drawback to RAID-0 is that a loss of one disk in the stripe loses the data
in the entire stripe, whereas with multiple cache_dirs you only lose that
one cache_dir's data.

>>make sure your Cache vs. RAM is optimum
>>~10MB Ram per 1GB Cache
>
> Where does this formula come from?