Re: [squid-users] How to block a client using mac

From: Jon Newman <jnewman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:32:54 -0500 (CDT)

> hi all
> i am running Linux 9 and squid shipped with Linux i think it is 2.5 stable
> 1

Linux 9? Don't you mean RedHat Linux 9? Sorry, pet peeve of mine where
users call Redhat X "Linux X" as though redhat were the only distribution.

> we are using acl ip based and 24 hours and time based depends on the
> package.
>
> problem is this we have used http_access Deny to a client in day bcz
> his time package is night he is unable to browse but he is still
> signing msn and yahoo and mirc how can i stop this and how can i block
> a mac address of a client permanently
> to not use the network.

ACL's are not going to get you what you want. You are going to need
firewalling or IP re-routing techniques in order to block ALL traffic for
a certain user/IP. Squid only has control over what it redirects (which I
assume is web traffic only in your setup), nothing more.

Hope this helps...

Jon

--
Jon Newman (jnewman@oplink.net)
Technical Solutions Manager / Senior software Engineer