RE: [squid-users] Multiple ISP setup

From: Damian-Grint Philip <pdamian-grint@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 18:07:57 +0100

Hi Wennie,

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but It sounds like you are asking how to load-balance traffic to and from a single host (squid box) over two links that you only control on the near end, without touching the routers involved.... that's quite a challenge.

One approach which has worked very well for me in the past is to use at least two squid boxes, each associated to an address that is preferred on separate links. You can then split your traffic across the two links by splitting your traffic across the two squid boxes.

You could do this for proxy-configured clients by using a WPAD proxy script which returns different PROXY strings based on the ip address of the client, and for non-proxy-configured clients, by letting WCCP split the load (by destination address hashes I think) as long as both squid boxes register with the same intercepting router.

If you can involve your BGP config engineer, then you will have more options - you can't talk about load balancing and redundancy without involving routing anyway - you split the inbound traffic from the outbound traffic and then talk about how you can influence the paths taken in each case.

Regards

Phi DG