Re: [squid-users] can't get to certain sites through proxy

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:27:41 +0200

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 20:11, Mark Drago wrote:
> The site is http://webmail.ne.rr.com - it's the webmail for the
> RoadRunner ISP that one of our customers is using. Our customer gave us
> a username and password to help diagnose the problem, but obviously and
> unfortunately I can't pass it on. I can get to the login screen without
> a problem, but when I try logging in I get an alert box that reads:
> 'Session timed out. Log in again' and it then redirects me back to the
> login screen.

Sound suspiciously like cookie-based session handling in connection with
additional security measures like checking your source IP address. Do you
run more than one proxy or distribute requests to different parent proxies
in a round-robin fashion? If the peer checks your IP address you will
change your source IP address time and again and some authentication
systems don't like that.

> Could RoadRunner be doing something on purpose that would make proxies
> not work?

Possible though unlikely. I just know RoadRunner because they cost me days
of my life to report spam... :(

> What could they be doing that would make requests arriving
> through a proxy not work? Has anyone had any similar problems with
> other sites?

Only when we had a configuration problem on the load balancers which
forward requests to the proxy cluster.

 Christoph

--
~