Re: [squid-users] CARP on a flat (no hierarchy) set of SQUID servers???

From: Kinkie <gkinkie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:19:17 +0200

On 6/14/07, Mark Vickers <markv@zillow.com> wrote:

> I want to use an F5 (or LVS) load balancer to connect to N number of
> squids.
>
> I want the squids in this flat network to use CARP to distribute the
> files I need cached.
>
> Can CARP work with peers in the same level, or do I have to do a
> hierarchy with squid/carp at the top layer and squids below it?

CARP is a parent selection algorithm, so it only works in a hierarchy.
I do not really understand what you mean by "above" and "below"; you
might want to use a squid in place of the F5 load balancer (you can
use keepalived/vrrpd to achieve high availability at the system
level). This is assuming that a single squid with caching essentially
disabled can handle the network load.

Otherwise there's no alternative than using two layers of squids.

--
    /kinkie