Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxying http and https

From: Michael Alger <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:45:09 -0400

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 01:55:10PM +0300, Taneli Leppä wrote:
> I'm trying to configure a reverse proxy using Squid 2.6 to
> serve pages from another server, using both http and https.
>
> I can get the configuration working so that http and https
> go to destination site's http or https port, but not both
> at the same time.

My first question is, why do you want to do this?

My second question is, does squid actually do the SSL handshake
when you have it set up to connect to port 443 only? I've never
tried this so I have no idea if it actually works or not, but I
don't really see why it would.

> I tried adding another cache_peer with port 443, but Squid
> just complains that such cache_peer already exists.

The only thing I can think of is adding an additional IP address
to the origin server, and an additional cache_peer with that IP
for the alternate port. You can then control which method (HTTP
or HTTPS) squid uses to connect to the origin using peer_access
rules.

But I really want to know why you want to do this in the first
place. Normally a reverse proxy lives close enough to the origin
that the network path is trusted, so SSL between the proxy and
origin is just needless overhead.