Re: [squid-users] Squid requirements

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:17:29 +1200 (NZST)

Wrong. It works. Just not very fast. :-)

I've had squid running on a 800MHz machine with 10GB HDD. 25% savings on
the web bandwidth costs paid for the upgrade machine in short order. Now
the savings are even better.

> as also do not exist any valuable hardware comparism since you need to do
> it
> yourself, means you need to look (clients, uplink, machine,
> bandwidth_for_each,
> disired_performance, budget) and finally look at your cache and at the end
> it is
> what_you_get_is_what_you_get_(for_your_money) ... so my friend, at the end
> it does
> not matter what they say to buy what you _CAN_ buy and get lucky with it
> :)

The measure of interest to an admin spec'ing up a Squid box are IMO:
 - highest req/sec vs cost.
H/W config provides the cost scale.
But whats missing is: what req/sec matches what H/W config for Squid?

Amos