[squid-users] Re: IMAP support

From: RW <fbsd06_at_mlists.homeunix.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:18:18 +0000

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:28:51 -0200
Leonardo Rodrigues Magalh__es <leolistas_at_solutti.com.br> wrote:

> julian julian escreveu:
> > Because all my traffic to internet is managed by squid. Do you have
> > any suggestion?
>
> no, it's not. Only http/https/ftp/gopher can be handled by squid.
>
> and it wont help keep sending messages asking about IMAP
> support ... squid can't do that. period.

Whilst Squid cannot proxy IMAP directly, it can proxy arbitary tcp
connections through an http connect request. IIRC there are patches
that allow stunnel to connect through squid in this way. I'd try that
first if gmail supports imap over ssl/tls (I'm not sure if stunnel has
any starttls support). Otherwise you can probably find some other
utility to connect a localhost port to gmail.

I don't know why people have been so dismissive of this question, it
sound like a sensible thing to do, particularly if you want to use
squid delay pools to manage download bandwidth.