Re: [squid-users] Re: IMAP support

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:25:52 -0900

RW wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:28:51 -0200
> Leonardo Rodrigues Magalh__es <leolistas_at_solutti.com.br> wrote:
>

>> julian julian escreveu:
>>
>>> Because all my traffic to internet is managed by squid. Do you have
>>> any suggestion?
>>>
>> no, it's not. Only http/https/ftp/gopher can be handled by squid.
>>
>> and it wont help keep sending messages asking about IMAP
>> support ... squid can't do that. period.
>>

> Whilst Squid cannot proxy IMAP directly, it can proxy arbitary tcp
> connections through an http connect request.

Amusingly enough, this point was raised by Amos the first time he
responded to this question...

> IIRC there are patches
> that allow stunnel to connect through squid in this way. I'd try that
> first if gmail supports imap over ssl/tls (I'm not sure if stunnel has
> any starttls support). Otherwise you can probably find some other
> utility to connect a localhost port to gmail.
>
> I don't know why people have been so dismissive of this question, it
> sound like a sensible thing to do, particularly if you want to use
> squid delay pools to manage download bandwidth.

Perhaps it's because Squid is a HTTP caching server, as spelled out
quite clearly in the FAQ
(http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/AboutSquid), not a generic
bandwidth shaper.

Perhaps it's because people who don't read the FAQ (and don't check the
list archives) throw a question similar to this on the mailing list
(what seems like) every week.

Perhaps in this case it was due to the sheer persistence of the original
requester. Six different people told julian that Squid is not capable
of handling the IMAP protocol[1] in response to five separate email
messages[2]. What does it take to get the message across?

If you want to use a screwdriver to pound nails, don't expect much
support from the screwdriver community. On the other hand, if you
figure out, on your own, a novel method to drive nails with a
screwdriver, share it and you might receive praise and recognition.
Then again, you might be questioned about not using a hammer in the
first place.

If you want to throttle random traffic traversing your internet
connection, there are free applications that work in Windows, tc on
Linux, and pf under BSD. If you are willing to spend a little cash,
there are any number of appliance vendors and software consultants who
would be happy to help you.

Then again, maybe I just need more rest.

Chris

[1]
1: Amos:
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200811/0275.html