Re: [squid-users] Problem with Squid 3 and secure web sites

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 22:05:09 +0100

mån 2008-12-08 klockan 08:33 -0800 skrev Sean Eckton:
> We are currently using Squid 3 3.0.STABLE9-6.1 on SuSE Linux
> Enterprise Server 10 SP1 (latest version I could find built on
> opensuse.org for SLES). The problem we're having is that some web
> sites either don't work or are so slow they're unusable. One web site
> we're accessing has a web page that never seems to load.

This is usually windows scaling issues. Many sites are still using
broken firewalls which can't deal properly with TCP window scaling. TCP
Windows Scaling was declared an official TCP/IP standard in 1992,
proposed standard some years earlier. But as the most common desktop
OS:es have not been using TCP Window Scaling many vendors ignored the
issue... but the Linux kernel people have selected not to ignore the
problem and make it visible by not aggressively working around
brokenness.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/BrokenWindowSize