Re: [squid-users] Using Squid in a WiFi hotspot environment

From: Matthew Morgan <atcs.matthew_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:53:47 -0500

Kaya Saman wrote:
> Fahd Kasri wrote:
>> Hi Kaya,
>>
>> Take a look at CoovaChilli. It's software that runs on OpenWRT
>> routers. It uses a Radius (freeradius for example) server for
>> authentication.
> Many thanks Fahd for the response :-)
>
> Am just on the page now but I don't understand what OpenWRT is.....
>
> I know that there are consumer grade routers from Linksys called WRT;
> is that what this is implying?
>
> Really this research of mine is for enterprise grade WiFi hotspots,
> for places like coffee shops or campus LANs which obviously will need
> to be scaled in terms of infrastructure and applications.
>
> That's why I thought of Squid initially as I could have a complete
> server infrastructure surround while not compromising performance at all.
>
> --Kaya

I think what Fahd means is CoovaChilli is a piece of software that runs
on CoovaAP, which is a 3rd party firmware for the WRT line of routers.
CoovaAP is based on OpenWRT, which is itself a 3rd party firmware.
There are only certain routers these firmware systems will run on, so
check the hardware compatibility list. I found one list on this page:
http://coova.org/CoovaAP/Installation

CoovaChilli looks like it does exactly what you want to do. It's main
page is here: http://coova.org/CoovaChilli. I don't know whether the
WRT routers will hold up to your resource requirements, though.