Re: [squid-users] Mailing-list admins: can we set up reply-to?

From: ghe <ghe_at_slsware.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:19:22 -0700

On Nov 19, 2009, at 8:25 PM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> fre 2009-11-13 klockan 11:44 -0500 skrev Brian Mearns:
>> Would it be possible for the admins of this mailing list to setup the
>> Reply-to header so hitting reply goes back to the mailing list? I
>> don't know how many times I've sent responses directly back to the
>> sender because I just started typing the response.
>
> No, because reply-to is even more harmful, causing responses which were
> intended private to go to the list, and makes it very very hard to
> respond privately with a standards conforming mail agent.
>
> The list server do set internet standard list headers, so if you have a
> mail client which knows about mailing lists then you get a "Reply to
> list" alternative.

There's been a huge 'discussion' of this subject over on the Debian list. The loudest replies all seemed to say, "Use mutt!"

So I had procmail look for an X-List or equivalent and add a Reply-To header (my clients don't do Reply-To-List).

I almost always want a reply to go to the list, but I do need to think a bit to send off-list. That's rare enough that I can handle thinking that much. So far...

--
Glenn English
ghe_at_slsware.com