Re: [squid-users] How can I cache most content

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:20:37 +1300

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:04:30 -0600, Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz
<luis.daniel.lucio_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Le Dimanche 14 Février 2010 13:59:17, Landy Landy a écrit :
>> > If you are desperate for bandwidth I suggest to block
>> > ads (e.g. a.rad.msn.com) and 'user behaviour analysis'
>> > (e.g. scorecardresearch.com).
>> >
>> > Furthermore, you may consider blocking mp3 files.
>> > Depending on what type of users you have, this can save
>> > a lot of bandwidth.
>>
>> Blocking is not an option. I have a small WISP and blocking stuff won't
>> work for us though I'm blocking p2p by default to everyone except for
>> those who call me and ask if it can be enabled for magicjack and other
>> services.
> Oh, you have the classic problem of "The Tragedy of the Commons" of
> Garrett
> Hardin. Your user see internet as a common good so you can not use
> content
> blocking but rather you need high caching tecniques.
>
> I'm doing that as my master tesis subject, maximizing network value. I
> hope
> you may read spanish. The fact is that you must try caching all you can
> with
> the hardware you have, contactme offline if you are interested in this.
>
> regards,
>
> LD

MUST? no I disagree. This is where market forces and economics come into
play.

The options are:
 * let the customers contend for available bandwidth.
   Sometimes it sucks when all are using, sometimes not. Squid will
arbitrate the pipe to ensure relatively even distribution to all currently
connected clients.

 * quota control.
   where every customer has an even amount of access, may use it up faster
or slower as they desire.

 * customer ranking.
   where higher payments means better service (larger slice of the pipe).

 * service shaping.
   where some services such as P2P with little need for immediate
satisfaction get downgraded, and others such as HTTP get upgraded for
better supply.

 * administrative protection
   where the admin builds some set of blocked locations. Careful though,
its a fine line and staying on the customers good side means keeping them
aware of whats blocked and why. Keeping to a policy of only blocking
useless bandwidth sucking garbage (as the customers see it too).

Amos