Re: [squid-users] Re: what is best method to connect two squid servers on the same router?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 14:45:41 +0300

On 5/20/2013 12:17 PM, Ahmad wrote:
> hi Amos ,
> thanks fro reply ,
> sorry for late ,
> i dont think that its hardware issue .
> i mean that i dont think that my hardware router cant bear two squid . it
> can do it and perfectly .
>
> i returned to its refernece manual and find it has a specific enhancement
> featured implemented fro wccp and it can load balance alot of clusters .
> agian ,
>
> my platform is multilayer switch cisco 7604 .
> about ur queston in cpu dissipation :
> 1- when none of squid working on router ===> cpu of router is 4 %
> 2- when 1 squid working on router ====>cpu of router is 35 %
> 3- when 1 squid is running , and add the 2nd server while the 1st squid is
> running , i note that squid 1 fail and the 2nd squid dont work and the
> cpu of router reach 90 , 95 % , 97 %
The problem is that WCCP works on the IP level which you cannot use the
same IP to the same transparent service.
Also you need to a configure exceptions on the cisco for traffic which
comes from one service to not pass into the second service.
I dont know what your network load but squid works using EPOLL which
will decrease the traffic load on the cpu by more then 100% compared to
regular SOCKET.
Is this a self compiled squid or from of the repositories?
if it's from one of the repos from which?

> actually i dont know , if i need to change the return , forwarding , or
> assignment methods to fix my problem !!!
>
> which is better method between squid and router ? should i let the
> interface between switch and router as Layer 2 port , and put the wccp
> setting on the vlan interface of port ??
If you do ask me just put the squid machine in bridge mode just to see
the actual load of the network to understand if wccp is better the
bridge mode.

> or let it as router "Layer 3 " port and apply wccp settings on the giga
> interface ??
>
> any documents from squid about my issue ??
I have written about how to use squid as transparent cache proxy with WCCP.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/UbuntuTproxy4Wccp2

> wish to help
>
> regards

If you need more help just ask.