Re: squid-3

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:36:21 +0800

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > Yeah, well, I've just ripped the bits from the eventio code you
> > came up with a while back, and integrated it into a little network
> > application library I'm writing.
>
> The original simple one, or the refcounted buffer & fixed version in the
> eventio branch?

A bit of both. I've implemented a comm_read() / comm_write() /
comm_listen() which take callbacks. This is esp nice for say, kqueue -
we can set the event on the listen FDs as continuous, and not have to
re-register an IO completion every time we want to accept a socket.
We just call comm_listen() with a callback like you did, and its
all good.

> The eventio branch has a fully functional network I/O layer, but the
> branch got stuck because I made the layer the way I think it should be,
> and ended up needing to clean up everything everything else in Squid
> touching networking..

Right.

> > Right. Again, I personally think we should build a proxy only around
> > the request flow ideas robert and I have been working on.
>
> Get the ideas documented then, and begin sketching on API interfaces
> that should be used.
>
> The request flow is a very basic component, and should be properly
> documented BEFORE implemented.

Ok. How about this.

I'll document what I think the disk layer should look like.
How about you document how the network layer should look like.
Robert - how about you document how the request/reply layer should
look like.

I'll collate, stick on the squid website somewhere, and we can
discuss any pitfalls. Once we've got something in rough shape
we can knock together some quick code to test the idea out with,
and proceed from there. I'd like to avoid the committee-type
pitfalls.

(Finally, some work? :-)

Adrian, who always seems to end up being the secretary at design
meetings..

--
Adrian Chadd			Yeah, for me its (XML) like the movie Titanic.
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  Everybody loves it.